Sunday, May 30, 2010

Heat Insulators

In the experiment exploring heat transfer, I used four identical mugs, four rubber bands, a four-cup measuring cup, and the microwave. The insulators I decided on were a chamois cloth, freezer baggie, printer paper, and heavy-duty foil. I chose these thinking they would be close because of the thickness of material. I hypothesized that the aluminum foil would be the best insulator. I found two comparative results in my experiment. I first used the microwave to individually heat up each cup, but they did not come out to be the same temperature. I had to start over and use the four cup measuring cup to get them all the same temp. I did the experiment three times. I discovered the paper and plastic were close in comparison when temperatures were taken with an average of 84 degrees F, as well as the foil and the chamois cloth with an average of 98 degrees F. I found my hypothesis was true the foil was a better insulator three out of three tries. However, I noted that the chamois cloth was the same temperature as the foil two out of three tries. This knowledge assist in recognizing the chamois and foil are both good insulators for heat transfer during the cooling process (Tillery, Enger, & Ross, 2008 p.83).
Observations I noted on each time I checked the experiment was the chamois cloth would absorb the condensation from the molecules that had been evaporated in contrast to the foil and plastic which collected the condensation on the insulator. I had expected the chamois to trap more heat than the paper; however, I had not expected it to insulate as well as the foil. I realize the thickness of the cloth assisted in the insulation for this experiment, and the types of insulator used affect heat transfer.
I specifically want students to learn the differences in conduction, convection, and radiation. I think I now understand it better since I teach seventh grade Life science. When I had to write it in my response for class, I had to be able to understand it. I think this is a good experiment to get the students to understand the differences and I think I reached my goal to understand them. I would like student s to be able to connect this information to their everyday life whether they are cooking, trying to keep food from spoiling, taking a trip to friends; I think understanding the differences in the insulators and how heat is transferred will assist them in taking care of personal needs.
I concluded there were three types of heat transferring energies in this experiment starting with conduction where the water particles respond to other particles in the cups and insulators where heat transferred to the solid. The second came as convection happening in gases and liquids only rolling the molecules that are cohesive (Tillery, Enger, & Ross, 2008 p. 77). The third type of heat transfer was radiation happening in the empty space between the water and the insulator where water vapors are free to move around rapidly bouncing off one another (Laureate Education 2007).

5 comments:

  1. I also used foil, and found it to maintain the temperature of the water the most. At first, I attributed this to reasoning that it must be the best insulator. Foil, however, also is reflective, which helped to keep heat in. That made me think about insulating materials that are sold for home insulation, and for coolers (to pack picnics, etc.). These products usually have some type of a reflective material, so it made perfect sense that they would hold in heat.

    Actually participating in the inquiry experience is beneficial, as it can provide valuable insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it is important for students to apply what they learn to their everyday life. A good way to show the movement of heat would be to take a tour of the school’s heating system and ask the school engineer explain how it operates. This would probably be a good example of radiation, which they can relate to their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I used a new cloth each time. However. I do not think I have enough for my students to use those in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used foil, and paper (but mine was a car advertisement paper and thus plastic coated), and plastic wrap, and a tea clothe, and also a big houseplant leaf! All of mine ended up staying pretty HOT because I used a tea kettle to heat up my water. Thus, I too had to do the experiement more than once, mostly because it was so hot that I could not use the thermometer to measure the temperature! It was too high!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am teaching life science as well, and I found it very helpful to really learn the information by doing the lab. It certainly solidifies the importace of experimentation in the classroom for me!

    I never thought about getting different temperature by heating your water in the microwave. It was smart of you to check that before you continued. I heated my water in an electric tea kettle which worked well. It is a great addition to any science lab for experimental purposes and to help clean lab equipment.

    ReplyDelete