Sunday, May 16, 2010

Swinging Pendulums

The question I chose was which pendulum will come to rest more quickly a lighter or heavier pendulum? I created a test using the materials from the science kit from Walden materials. The materials include three washers of varying masses, nylon string one meter in length, one broom handle, two chairs, data table, and stopwatch. I created a data table to record findings and used a stopwatch to determine the period for each pendulum in motion. I began by placing the broom handle balanced between two chairs, a string 17 centimeters long tied to the broom handle in the middle and a washer tied to the other to create the pendulum. I raised the washer to 22 centimeters high and let it swing. I used a stopwatch to time the movement of the different washers. I tried the experiment with three different mass washers, and tried the experiment three times for each washer. I recorded each washer’s movement time. To my surprise, the washer with the least mass came to rest quickest. This required me to do a bit more research in my book. I thought the mass had to be part of the missing link for me. I found force equals mass times acceleration, but could not understand how gravitational pull had not stopped the larger mass quicker. Then upon reading over the second law of motion, I found that inertia was the factor I had not accounted for in my hypothesis, “The greater the mass the greater the resistance to change in velocity” (Tillery, Enger, and Ross, 2008 p. 41). What I discovered was that the more mass something has the more force it takes to move it. However, it also takes more force to stop its momentum, which was the answer to why it takes the washer with more mass longer to stop its momentum. As I realized I was trying to use the wrong equation, I discovered the momentum equals mass times velocity or p=mv; therefore, the answer makes perfect since that the washer with more mass will stay in motion longer because it has more momentum” (Tillery, Enger, and Ross, 2008 p. 43).The experiment went well as a whole. I think it is simple enough for students to get the understanding. The only problem with the experiment is getting the string the same length every time you change the washers. It is difficult to perform the experiment by oneself, so I would use partners.Since I learned much from the experiment and had little difficulty the set up and performance of the task I would not make any changes. I would have to explore if I needed to give more instructions to my students. I came up with the experiment; therefore, I am not sure if the students would devise a different plan. I would try it and then revise accordingly. Since I teach Life Science and very little physics, I would have to try it with students before I could make specific changes.I would set this experiment up using the internet site from this week’s resource by having students predict what the outcome of the swinging motion results from different lengths of a mass. I would also have students do some reading about inertia and momentum. These are particular helpful in this assignment.An area this affects students personally is potential energy changed to kinetic energy. They could transfer knowledge that even though once the washer is let go and there is kinetic energy it lessens with each swing. We would discuss why one should not step out in front of a child that is swinging. We could discuss what size child the student might be able to stop swinging without being hurt. Then students could develop a model of a ride in an amusement park that used the energy from a pendulum motion.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Donna! You did a great job on your experiment. It was great to read how finding your hypothesis to be incorrect drove you into the book to figure out why. This is a great example of learning through experimentation and guided inquiry. I wonder how we can get our students to the point that they do as you did and searched for the reason why. I also thought your ideas of real life application were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled with what real life situations would be. I also have tried to post to other sites that I am a follower on, but have been unsuccessful. I think I'll leave a message on the Q&A board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pendulum example is good, Donna, especially since the pendulum is a graspable example of simple harmonic motion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    We had similar experiences and frustrations with the pendulum. Taping the pendulum string directly to the counter was my first error. After some thought, I realized the need to have a circulur type of item to tie the string to first, to allow for a smoother circular motion while oscillating. Then I tied the string to a pencil and then taped it to the end of a countertop that had several inches of free space for movement.

    Like you, I attempted to make certain the variables were addressed correctly. I ran several 'practice' swings, beginning with 30 seconds, 20 seconds, and 10 seconds. Recognizing the number of swings were the very similar throughout each period, I selected the 20 second time to monitor and did the experiment again with 20 seconds on the timer. The longer period of oscillation, produced a greater amount of time opposing forces were acting upon each of the washers. The largest washer, having the greater mass, remained in motion for 6 minutes and 12 seconds. The middle size washer came to a complete rest at four minutes and 3 seconds, while the smallest washer came to rest at 1 minute and 49 seconds.

    There are numerous opportunities with this lesson for students to ask why, just as you and I have done, Donna. Equally important to note, this guided inquiry could quite easily extend into an open inquiry lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post. It is important for our students to see that science can be done with simple materials that we have available in our everyday lives--just as the materials we were provided with in the science kit. I really like the pendulum experiment and what it demonstrates about mass and inertia. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your posting! I especially love your connection to the swing sets outside! I always shake my head at the number of little children who step out in front of a swing set thinking that they can help a fellow student who is bigger than them to get down! As altruistic as their offerings of help might be, it is a cruel way to learn about the realities of physics! I love then how you have applied it to the lesson so that students gain a better grasp on what they see on the playground! It helps them remember. It helps them apply to life. It helps them stay safe! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete